Mindful Employers strive to:
- Promote a mentally healthy workplace
- Increase mental health awareness
- Eliminate stigma around seeking help
- Develop mindful managers
- Support success at work
Signing the Mindful Employer Charter is free, voluntary, and open to any employer in Canada. It signifies an awareness of and public commitment to supporting workplace mental health.
The University of Waterloo made the decision to become part of a pilot project for Mindful Employer In-House…because we know that we need to give our managers the tools to be able to handle the increasing number of mental health illnesses that all companies are seeing. Our managers are enjoying this project because they are learning how to use these tools and how to interact with other members of management when they have a difficult situation.
Linda Brogden, University of Waterloo
Mindful Employer Canada
Mindful Employer Canada can help organizations work towards the National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace in the following ways:
- Signing the Charter can be part of the commitment by senior management.
- Following the principles of the Charter can help address the factor of psychological support.
- Enrolling in the Mindful Employer In-House program can help build capacity to address workplace mental health issues more effectively.
- Having managers become Mindful Managers can be part of training for competency.
The Charter is not an accreditation nor a set of quality standards. While we applaud and encourage adoption of the National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace, this initiative is a complementary and simple starting point that focuses on opening up dialogue around the issue of mental health and mental illness in the workplace. It is about striving towards the principles – signing up is a step along the journey to supporting workplace mental health.
Signing up does not involve qualification or certification. It is a good faith agreement to continue to strive towards supporting a mentally healthy workplace and offers access to resources to help you accomplish this.
Mindful Employer Canada is proud to be supported by